US officials on Monday accused Russia of destroying an old satellite with a missile. He called it a reckless and irresponsible act.
The debris could cause major damage to the space station as it is orbiting at 28,000 kmph.
US space agency NASA Administrator Bill Nelson said that astronauts will now face four times the risk of exposure.
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said in a statement, “This test clearly demonstrates that, despite its claims to oppose the weaponization of outer space, it continues to act as a threat to outer space for all nations through its reckless and irresponsible behavior.” willing to risk its use.
However, the Russian space agency Roscosmos did not confirm or deny the test. It only said in a vague online statement Tuesday that the unconditional safety of the astronauts aboard the ISS is its main priority.
Russia’s defense ministry, however, confirmed on Tuesday that it had tested and destroyed a satellite that had been out of service, but stressed that the US knew for certain that there were pieces of debris, both at the time of the test and in orbit. In the context of orbital parameters, does not and will not pose a threat to space stations, spacecraft and space activities.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov also alleged that it was hypocritical to say that Russia posed a threat to peaceful activities in space.
It is noteworthy that after the situation became clear on Monday morning, four American, one German and two Russian astronauts aboard the ISS were asked to immediately take shelter in their ‘capsules’.
They stayed inside two capsules for two hours.
NASA Mission Control has said the increased threat could continue to disrupt astronaut science research and other work.
It is noteworthy that China also conducted a similar weapon test in 2007, as a result of which countless pieces of debris were scattered in space.
At the same time, anti-satellite missile tests were conducted by the US in 2008 and by India in 2019 at a much lower altitude, about 420 km below the space station.