Dementia Disease: More than 1 crore people in India have dementia! revealed in the study

Dementia Disease: More than 1 crore people in India have dementia!  revealed in the study

Dementia Disease: In India, more than 10 million people aged 60 or more may have dementia. We are not saying this, rather this claim has been made in a study. A new study published in the Journal of Neuroepidemiology has found that more than one crore population of India is suffering from dementia disease. This figure is equal to the figures recorded in America, Britain and other countries.

According to research, an artificial intelligence technique called semi-supervised machine learning was used to analyze the data of 31,477 older adults. The researchers found that the prevalence of dementia among people aged 60 years and above in India is 8.44 per cent, which equates to 10.08 million senior citizens in the country.

How Dementia Is Diagnosed

The artificial intelligence learning model used in the study was created by a group of researchers from different institutions, including the University of Surrey, the University of Michigan, the University of Southern California and the All India Institute of Medical Science (AIIMS). The model was merged with the data. This included a labeled dataset of approximately 70% of those diagnosed with dementia through a new online consensus. The remaining 30 percent of the data was used to test the accuracy of the artificial intelligence’s predictions.

Who is more affected by dementia?

Research concluded that the rate of dementia was higher among the elderly, women, illiterate people and people living in rural areas. According to Haomiao Jin, co-author of this study and health data science lecturer at the University of Surrey in the United Kingdom, more than 30,000 senior citizens were included in the investigation done on aging in India. 

Disclaimer: Before following the methods, methods and suggestions mentioned in this article, do consult a doctor or related expert.

Read also: Hair Straightening Tips: No hair straightener at home? Even then hair can be completely straight, just follow these 3 unique tips


Get the more latest Lifestyle news updates