The leak of poisonous gas once again created a stir in Achyutapuram of Anakapalli district on Tuesday. According to reports, the women fell ill due to a suspected gas leak at a garment manufacturing unit in Brandix Special Economic Zone. The women suffering from poisonous gas were taken to the hospital by ambulance. Police sources said some workers were given first aid at the Special Economic Zone medical center, while others were shifted to nearby hospitals. PTI reported that some workers who fell ill are said to be pregnant. Brandix SEZ employs thousands of workers, mostly women, in textile manufacturing units.
About 50 women have been admitted to the hospital due to the gas leak. According to the information, the women employees of the company started vomiting due to the gas leak. Some of the female employees even fainted. “There was reportedly a gas leak at Brandix’s premises. 50 people have been shifted to hospitals, and evacuation work is underway at the premises,” SP Anakapalle said.
Two months back also, a case of gas leak came to light here. Locals are again expressing concern over the release of toxic gases. Amidst the fresh gas leak, Minister AVSS Amarnath Gudivada has spoken to the officials. He directed to take measures to provide better treatment to the victims.
A similar incident took place in the district on June 3 when over 200 women workers fell unconscious after complaining of burning in the eyes, nausea and vomiting. Officials suspect that there was a leakage of ammonia gas from Porus Laboratories unit in the area. A team of experts from the Indian Institute of Chemical Technology in Hyderabad visited the laboratory and tried to find out the cause of the leak. Later the State Pollution Control Board ordered the closure of the laboratory.
Get the more latest news updates