Eyesight went away after putting eye drops, one died; Serious allegations on Indian pharmaceutical company

Eyesight went away after putting eye drops, one died;  Serious allegations on Indian pharmaceutical company

An Indian pharmaceutical company has been accused of using its eye drops to blind people in the US, while one died. After this, the Chennai-based company has stopped the production of the drug. America has advised against the use of Ezricare Artificial Tears Eye Drop. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is testing unopened bottles of Azicare Artificial Tears eye drops manufactured by Chennai-based Global Pharma Healthcare.

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) says it is moving towards banning the import of these eye drops. “The FDA is warning the public and physicians to immediately stop using Azricare Artificial Tears eye drops because of a possible bacterial infection,” the agency said. Using this eye drop increases the risk of eye infection, which can lead to loss of vision and even death.

At the same time, regarding eye drops, sources have told that the teams of CDSCO and Tamil Nadu Drug Controller are going to the manufacturing plant near Chennai. It is a contract manufacturing plant that supplies to the US market through others. This medicine is not sold in India.

According to NDTV, Global Pharma Healthcare had issued a statement saying that the company is recalling Artificial Tears Lubricant Eye Drops by Ezricare, LLC and Delsum Pharma due to possible bacterial contamination. CBS News reports that doctors across the country have been alerted to an outbreak of Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Due to this, at least 55 people in a dozen states have been affected and one has lost his life.

So far, at least five of the 11 patients who have had a direct infection in their eyes have lost their vision, a CDC spokesperson was quoted as saying by the network. Insider.com reports that Pseudomonas aeruginosa can cause infections in the blood, lungs or wounds. It is worth mentioning that last year too dozens of children were claimed dead in Gambia and Uzbekistan after drinking cough medicine of an Indian company, after which the World Health Organization issued an alert.

Get the more latest news updates

Scroll to Top