Justice UU Lalit Supreme Court Will be the next Chief Justice of CJI NV Ramana It has recommended the name of Justice UU Lalit for his successor for the Chief Justice. The new Chief Justice is selected after a recommendation is made to the Ministry of Law and Justice. Justice UU Lalit He has advocated many big and famous cases, while he has given judgment in many big cases. He is also known for his logical remarks. The tenure of CJI NV Ramana is about to end this month, after which UU Lalit will take over.
CJI NV Ramana has recommended the name of Justice UU Lalit to the Ministry of Law and Justice. Let us know about UU Lalit, as well as about the cases and decisions related to him.
Who is Justice UU Lalit?
You must have heard the name of Justice UU Lalit in the most important case of 2019. Ram Mandir-Babri Masjid dispute. UU Lalit, who was involved in the Supreme Court bench hearing that case, distanced himself from the matter. What were the reasons, we will discuss further about this. Get to know about them first.
The full name of Justice UU Lalit is Uday Umesh Lalit. His father UR Lalit was also a judge and served in the Bombay High Court. UU Lalit was born on 9 November 1957 in Maharashtra. After completing his law studies, he made advocacy his career and his name was included in the well-known selected lawyers of the country.
Till December 1985, he practiced in the Bombay High Court and then moved to Delhi. Here in 1986 he started advocacy. In April 2004, he became a senior advocate of the Supreme Court and then held many important positions. In the year 2014, on August 13, he was appointed as a judge of the Supreme Court. His tenure as Supreme Court Justice will last till November 8, 2022.
Advocacy from Salman Khan to Amit Shah!
- Justice UU Lalit has represented actor Salman Khan in the blackbuck poaching case.
- He has also represented former Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh in the corruption case.
- He has represented Amit Shah in the Sohrabuddin Sheikh and Tulsiram Prajapati fake encounter case.
- Apart from this, he has also advocated in the date of birth of former Army Chief General VK Singh.
- triple talaq case Justice UU Lalit has been a part of the Constitutional Bench delivering many important decisions during his tenure so far. This also includes the instant ‘triple talaq’ case. It was decided by a majority of 3-2 in a five-judge bench. In this, Justice Lalit had declared triple talaq unconstitutional. Muslim women have got a big relief from this decision.
- Padmanabhaswamy Temple Management- In the important decision related to the historic Sripadmanabhaswamy temple in Kerala, a bench headed by Justice UU Lalit had also given the verdict. He gave the right to manage the Sripadmanabhaswamy temple to the then royal family of Travancore.
- case related to poxo A bench headed by Justice UU Lalit had given an important decision related to the Protection of Children from Sexual Offenses (POCSO) Act. Under this, touching the parts of a child or an act involving physical contact with ‘sexual intent’ is considered ‘sexual assault’ under section 7 of the POCSO Act.
had separated himself from the Ayodhya case
Justice UU Lalit was also included in the Constitutional Bench of the Supreme Court headed by the then Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi regarding the Ram Mandir-Babri Masjid dispute in Ayodhya. Senior advocate Rajeev Dhavan was appearing for the Muslim side. He told the bench that Justice Lalit had represented former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Kalyan Singh in 1994 in a related matter.
However, Rajeev Dhavan had clarified that he was not seeking Justice Lalit’s withdrawal from the hearing of the case. But Justice Lalit himself took the decision and left the case.
Let us inform that on 6 December 1992, when the structure of Babri Masjid was demolished, Kalyan Singh was the CM of UP. Because of this, he had given an affidavit in the Supreme Court that the structure of Babri Masjid would be kept intact. But it was demolished and they could not stick to their affidavit. On October 24, 1994, the Supreme Court sentenced Kalyan Singh to one day’s imprisonment and a fine of Rs 20,000 for contempt for failing to fulfill his promise on Babri. Justice UU Lalit had represented him in the same case.
“Kids can go to school at 7 o’clock, why can’t we come to court at 9 o’clock”
The Supreme Court bench headed by Justice UU Lalit was meeting last month. The meeting, which usually starts at 10:30, was called by Justice Lalit at 9:30. When this started being discussed, he said, “If our children can go to school at 7 in the morning, why can’t we work from 9 am? I am always in favor of starting work at 9 am and then working till 2 am after having my coffee at 11 am.”
Usually the court starts at 10:30 in the morning and works there till 1 in the afternoon. Then a short break for lunch and then work from 2 pm onwards till the roster of other cases is over. In addition to his judgments and comments, Justice Lalit is also known for his style of work.
Get the more Knowledge information