Farmers doing commercial cultivation of bananas must know about the Cucumber Mosaic Virus (CMV) virus-borne disease, otherwise there can be a big loss. This disease has caused Jalgaon in Maharashtra to Burhanpur in Madhya Pradesh. banana growers A new and big problem is emerging for this. The country’s senior fruit scientist Dr SK Singh is telling through TV Bharatvarsh Digital, what is the way to deal with this disease to the farmers.
According to Dr. Singh, there are many viral diseases in banana cultivation, such as Banana Bunchy Top (BBTV), Banana Bract Mosaic (BBrMV), Banana Streak (BSV), Banana Cucumber Mosaic Virus (CMV) etc. There are diseases. For the last two years (from the year 2020 to 2022) around Burhanpur district in Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh, more than 60 percent of the plants have been infected with the Cucumber Mosaic Virus disease in some orchards only after transplanting, the reason for the infection is this. The disease has come to the fore in a formidable form, due to which the farmers are not able to understand what to do?
At some places, farmers are destroying the orchards.
The DA of Burhanpur, Madhya Pradesh has constituted a team of officers to assess the damage caused by this disease by setting up a control room. It is necessary to mention that this disease is still a disease of very little importance for other banana producing areas of the country. The infection of this disease in Bihar is between 2 to 4 percent. Now all the banana growing farmers want to know that how this disease can be easily recognized and how it can be managed.
symptoms of infection
Cucumber mosaic virus disease infection can occur at any stage of banana plant development. Symptoms of this disease mainly appear on the leaves. The initial symptom of this disease is the appearance of a mosaic-like pattern of continuous or interrupted stripes parallel to the veins. The leaves appear in a striped form. Over time, the leaf (leaf lamina) is not fully developed and the margin appears irregularly curved and necrotic spots may appear. Young leaves become smaller in size. Rotten areas may appear on the leaf sheath and may spread further to the pseudostem. Symptoms of rot on older leaves appear as black or purple streaks and fall off. Infected plants may not mature and may be unable to produce clusters. The fruits do not always show symptoms but they usually appear smaller in size and have chlorotic lines on them.
Banana Cucumber Mosaic Virus
- Identify Cucumber Mosaic Virus infected plants on the basis of their external symptoms and uproot them and burn them or bury them in the ground as these will help in spreading the disease.
- The rhizome of disease-affected plants should not be used for planting a new banana orchard.
- Virus free certified tissue culture plants should be used for new gardens
- Keep the field free from weeds and crops susceptible to cucumber mosaic virus disease should not be planted as intercropping with banana
- To avoid the damage caused by various viral diseases, 20 -25% more saplings should be planted,
- Infected plants should be cut and banana should be planted or buried in the soil and the vacant space should be filled with more planted plants.
- The virulence of the disease is also reduced by the recommended dosage of fertilizers and 10 kg of well-rotted cow dung or composted manure/plants.
by biological methods
Direct treatment of viral diseases is not possible, but through this it is possible to reduce the risk of infection. This disease is caused by the vector aphids. Aphids are various natural enemies that can be used effectively against aphid species, such as parasitic, parasitic or predatory insects and fungal species.
Management of disease by chemical methods
Spray systemic insecticides to control Cucumber mosaic virus disease, which helps prevent the spread of vectors. Management of the disease should always be considered through an integrated approach for effective control of the disease. Direct treatment of the viral disease is not possible, but the host (banana plant) and vectors can be managed to some extent. If foliar spraying of insecticides such as dimeton-methyl, dimethoate and malathion can effectively control the disease-carrying insect aphids.
Get the more informations about Agriculture